Stone Horse Yacht Club was founded in 1933 at the then new boat building shed of the Lee Shipbuilding Company (the site now occupied by the Harwichport Boatworks).
At the time of the club's founding, the sailing fleet consited of a good many widely disparate types of borts which had to be handicapped for racing.
prime movers in the founding of the club were:
The Stone Horse burgee and its six stars was designed to recognoze the *six men who started the club (Waldo Brown was also considered to be intergral to the club's founding).
- Bernard Russell Andrews (known as “B.R” to his many friends)
- Edward Aaron (“Ted”) Davis
- William Davis Lee
- Neil Cook McMath
- Palmer Cosslett Putnam
- George Ichabod Rockwood
- Waldo Brown
This information was taken from an essay written by George Rockwood in 2000. To view that essay, titled,"The Story of the Six Stars," click here.