William H. Whiting on the porch of "Beach Lodge"
Stone Horse Yacht Club was founded in 1933 at the then-new boat building shed of the Lee Shipbuilding Company (the site now occupied by the Harwich Port Boat Yard).
At the time of the club's founding, the sailing fleet consisted of a wide variety of boats that had to be handicapped for racing.
Among the key members in the founding of the club were:
Bernard Russell Andrews (known as “B.R” to his many friends)
Edward Aaron (“Ted”) Davis
William Davis Lee
Neil Cook McMath
Palmer Cosslett Putnam
George Ichabod Rockwood
The Stone Horse burgee and its six stars were designed to recognize the six people who started the club (Waldo Brown was also considered to be integral to the club's founding).
This information was taken from an essay written by George Rockwood in 2000. To view that essay, titled, "The Story of the Six Stars," see the Stone Horse Yacht Club Handbook (a.k.a. Club Roster) pages 20-22.
William Henry Whiting (aka W.H. Whiting), was 85 years old when he served as Commodore for the first year of the club’s existence in 1933. He served as Race Committee for sailboat races on Wychmere Harbor. He was a member of the club for only a little more than a year when he died August 28, 1934.
Parks M. Adams Jr., William H. Whiting's great-grandson, presented to the club a chapter from his manuscript entitled "American Family: Whiting-Doty-Adams 1620 to 1936, Roots and Stories" which includes a history of Whiting's life and the club.
Click here for Chapter 4 of Parks Adams' manuscript on the club's first Commodore and the Whiting family's contributions to our nation's history.
William H. Whiting led a fascinating life and was once considered the "dean" of New York City real estate brokers. The New Jersey bank he established "lost no money for its depositors in the 1929 crash." His family came to Harwich Port for the first time in 1906 and traveled by rail each year to summer in their home "Beach Lodge" at 54 Snow Inn Road.
Parking & Temporary Trailer Storage (for events)
Harbor Road runs through a residential area, so there is NO PARKING allowed on any side of Harbor Road.
After sailor and boat drop off at the club, cars will be directed to a specified parking area. Powerboats should (preferably) be launched at the Saquatucket Harbor town ramp, which is located just east of Harbor Road on Route 28. There is ample trailer parking there. For more information on launching a powerboat, contact the Harbor Masters Office at 508-430-7532 or at www.threeharbors.com
Power Boat Launching for Stone Horse Regattas
There is a launch ramp at Harwich Port Boat Yard ($15 fee) located at the Yacht Club; however, at peak arrival times congestion is frenzied.
Powerboats can easily be launched from the Saquatucket Harbor town ramp, which is located just east of the Yacht Club on Route 28. For more information, contact the Harbor Masters Office at 508-430-7532 or at www.threeharbors.com
From Rt 6 (East or West):
Take Exit 10 to Rt 124 south.
Follow Rt 124 South through one blinking light to a stop sign.
At that stop (intersection of Rt 39 in Harwich Center) go left onto Rt 39.
Take first right on to Bank Street
Follow Bank Street South until you reach a stop sign at Rt 28.
Go left on Rt. 28
Take your third right onto Harbor Rd.
Follow Harbor Road to the end.